[c-nsp] RSPAN 3750X (IP BASE) - Received Only Broadcast/Multicast - No Unicast :(

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Apr 6 05:03:18 EDT 2014

On (2014-04-05 15:58 -0700), Mike Hale wrote:

> Also...if you're running your sniffer on VMware, have you explicitly
> allowed promiscuous mode on the NIC and vSwitch?

I've twice used tshark on PC where it just did not go into promisc mode
(dmesg, claimed it did, but it did not) linux directly on top of HW, no VM.

And indeed very recently ran to the issue on HP VC:
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-BladeSystem-Virtual-Connect/VC-Flex10-not-passing-traffic-from-Gigamon-to-ESX-VM-nic/td-p/1158130#.Uv3TuYXdtp4

Or then it is, like Steinar suggested, MAC learning still enabled.

--
  ++ytti