[c-nsp] Peering between route reflectors

Lee Clark Lee.Clark2 at TELUS.COM
Mon Apr 7 15:43:05 EDT 2014

Cydon,

Your RRs should (must?) be fully meshed to meet IBGP requirements. The full mesh requirement is relaxed toward clients.
I believe the current best practice is assigning each RR its own cluster ID and having each client router peered with at least two RRs for redundancy. This set up results in the clients receiving two (or more) copies of the same route, something to keep in mind if your clients are carrying full Internet routes.

Depending on the size and configuration of your network a scenario like this might apply:

RR1/RR2 are assigned unique cluster IDs and are fully meshed.
Client A is peered RR1 and client B is peered with RR2.
RR1 and RR2 must be peered with one another (as non-clients) to exchange routes learned from clients A and B.
RR1 will reflect the routes from client B to client A.
RR2 will reflect the routes from client A to client B.

Without the RR/RR peering there is no way to propagate routes between clients A and B.
Peering both clients to both RRs that would solve the problem but is not scalable in a large network where there are many RRs and significant # of clients.

As always, ymmv.

Lee