[c-nsp] Is the Nexus 3064PQ usable ?

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Wed Apr 23 06:59:22 EDT 2014

I've watched the recent thread about "Cisco switch portfolio miss" with
interest, since I am in the process of replacing some old 6500s in the a
data center and in a campus core.

Requirements are reasonable: IPv4, few routes, 4-5 VRFs, BGP, OSPF, HSRP.

Port and protocols requirements would be more than fulfilled with a
3064-X (N3K-C3064PQ-10GX) + a 3048TP (N3K-C3048TP-1GE).

The price of these boxes appear to be much, much less than the
equivalent 6800 or 4500 or any bigger Nexus. Raw performance is impressive.

So my dilemma is: should I follow the data sheet, with the risk of
having a buggy and unusable box, or should I buy the better known boxes,
using more of my budget and giving up on other things?

I remember when the Cisco logo on a box was enough to settle such doubts.

Does anybody have success/horror stories about the 3064 or 3048 to
share? If you email me in private, I can post an anonimized summary.

Best regards,
				Bergonz

--
Ing. Michele Bergonzoni - Laboratori Guglielmo Marconi S.p.a.
Phone:+39-051-6781926 e-mail: bergonz at labs.it
alt.advanced.networks.design.configure.operate