[c-nsp] Stray OSPF packets from non-link-local IPs ranges

Tue Apr 29 06:48:31 EDT 2014

Dear all,

on ASR9k with IOS XR 4.3.4 I am seeing messages like:

%ROUTING-OSPF-4-BADLENGTH : Invalid length 64765 in OSPF packet from x.x.x.x (ID
 0.0.0.0), TenGigE0/0/2/3

from IPs which are _not_ from link-local prefixes.

>From how I understand the documentation, all OSPF from such addresses
should be silently discarded. I found references to similar issues in
the past: IOS XR would validate packets before discarding them. Is
this the case here or am I missing something?

Richard