[c-nsp] HSRP failover/failback question

Randy amps at djlab.com
Fri Aug 1 16:16:04 EDT 2014

I've got an HSRP setup between two 6500's.   Today the primary active
router's sup took a dump and failed over to the standby.   The blip
caused the standby router to take over the HSRP gateway on each VLAN as
expected.   However once the failover was complete on the primary router
it *immediately* took over the GW's again.   And of course, before it
had a full routing table so there was several minutes of blackholing.
I thought we'd be protected from this with the following config, but I
guess not:

PRIMARY ROUTER VLAN X:
  standby version 2
  standby 0 ip x.x.x.x