[c-nsp] HSRP failover/failback question

Robert Williams Robert at CustodianDC.com
Sat Aug 2 07:07:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

The 'preempt delay' element means that it won't go active for xxx seconds _if_ there is a lower priority instance already visible. However - if the other instance is _not_ visible, then it goes active immediately.

In your case, I suspect there was a layer-2 adjacency issue (maybe an STP re-convergence) which meant that it couldn't see the hellos from the other (now active) unit and thus there was a double-active scenario. Then, after STP had converged your secondary unit saw higher priority (and active) hellos and thus immediately went into the backup role again. Leaving your primary unit to blackhole until it re-converged it's IGP.

The resolution will depend on the rest of your infrastructure between the two units, maybe tune STP timers to be quicker than HSRP initial failures.

Also, there is a keyword for 'reload' delay under preempt, which is separate to the one you are using, which maybe will also apply during a failover event?

(config-if)#standby 0 preempt delay reload ?
  <0-3600>  Number of seconds for reload delay

Hope that helps!

Robert Williams
Custodian Data Centre
Email: Robert at CustodianDC.com