[c-nsp] OSPFv3 Multiple Address Families Support in IOS

Tom Hill tom at ninjabadger.net
Tue Aug 5 20:07:57 EDT 2014

On 05/08/14 18:48, Christopher Werny wrote:
> Has anyone done this before and can share some experience with it?
> What are (in your opinion) the pros and cons of the aforementioned
> consolidation of OSPFv2/v3 into only OSPFv3?

For the last ~4 months I've been running OSPFv3 with IPv4/IPv6 address
families on 4900Ms, in production. On 15.1(2)SG3 mind, not the 15.2E
release.

Pros? It's an incredibly simple setup, and I'm happy to report that it's
been reliable.

Cons, well there would only be 1 minor gripe: a "feature" where-in, if
you have 'passive-interface default' enabled for OSPFv3, any new
interfaces that are created by the chassis (port-channels, SVIs, etc.)
automatically have lines added to remove their passive status.

So any new customer VLANs are sending OSPFv3 HELLOs until you configure
'passive-interface Vlan69' or similar. Frustrating, but nothing that
good practice|templating|automation won't work-around. For reference,
15.1(3)S6 does this on our 3BXLs, too.

Otherwise, it's been like running OSPF + OSPFv3 and that's been keeping
me rather happy.

Tom