[c-nsp] 6880-X XL vs. ASR

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Aug 13 07:16:19 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:40:13 AM James Bensley
wrote:

> Going back to this thread we are going to arrange to demo
> some C6880-x's for edge devices. I think the ASR9k maybe
> a better paltform for us but I've not used the C6880-x's
> hense the demo. We use the ME3600s/ME3800s extensively
> at the access layer so I'm after beefed up versions of
> those with all the same features;

I've been asking Cisco and other vendors to develop a non-
modular chassis version of the ME3600X/3800X, for this very
purposes.

If you're looking at maintaining the price-performance
metrics of the ME3600X/3800X, any current chassis-based
MPLS-capable router will be too costly.

Having said that, the 6880's are quite new. We have a number
deployed, but for core Ethernet switching. I think they
still even have only one image at this point.

The 6880 is a SUP-2T with all 6500 features (alleged to be)
available Day One; for what that is worth.

Mark.