[c-nsp] Does "backup interface" gratuitous ARP?

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 21:04:58 EDT 2014

This won't work, it won't let you put two IPs in the same subnet on the
router. What's a better solution would be an EEM script tied to an IP SLA
so when a failure is detected on g1/1 the EEM script shuts it down, removes
the IP, configures g1/1, and pings out, forcing an ARP.

As you mentioned BVI is a real solution. You need two physical interfaces
on a single logical segment, which sounds like a switching problem.

The only other option I can think of is putting G1/1 in a VRF and then
doing some sort of wacky route leaking between global and VRF.