[c-nsp] White Box Switches as LSR / P router in SP networks

Arun Kumar narain.arun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 07:11:06 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I am curious to figure out if someone would have deployed / examined /
researched White Box Switches with Open Network OS (like Cumulus, Pluribus
etc) in Service Provider Carrier networks as "P" router doing only Label
Switching functionality (LSR) i.e. doing IP/MPLS Label switching (not in
Data Center) with all the functions turned on (MPLS LDP, RSVP TE,
OSPF/ISIS, PIM, QOS). Datasheet of Network OS do not support all the
required feature sets.

The bottom line is we are trying to refresh the current hardware (of course
vendor locked in) in our network to something new and robust. And I had a
thought if White box switches could be used for "P" functionality. Anyways
for "PE" which needs service intelligence and creation, established
platforms would be put (ASR9K, MX,7750SR).

thanks
Arun