[c-nsp] Spantree .1Q packets received on non-trunk port.

Lee Starnes lee.t.starnes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 19:32:34 EDT 2014

Hello,

Been fighting with a carrier about a problem that we are seeing that I have
not been able to get resolved. They are handing off an Metro-E circuit at
one of our remote sites and they are providing an "access" port for us.
This is "un-tagged" traffic at the remote site and tagged at our NNI. I can
plug in a laptop to this port at the remote site and pass traffic all the
way through our NNI. However, if I connect a cisco switch to it with the
port on the cisco configured as an access port, I get the error below.

00:06:52: %SPANTREE-7-RECV_1Q_NON_TRUNK: Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk
FastEthernet0/3 VLAN638.
00:06:52: %SPANTREE-7-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/3 on
VLAN0638. Inconsistent port type.

Now this happens on a cisco ME3400, an 2950, and 3750g. Is there something
that I am doing wrong? The config is as follows on the ME and 2950. Swap
out the fastethernet for gigabit.

!
interface fastethernet0/3
switchport mode access