[c-nsp] me3600 me3800 EFP limits

b.turnbow at twt.it b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Aug 28 12:39:19 EDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get clarification  on the max number of EFPs on the me3600/3800s and am having some difficulty...
The config guide has changed over the various releases adding more info until we arrive at 15.4 guide like this one.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15-4_2_S/configuration/guide/3800x3600xscg/swevc.html

It states
The number of EFP scales on ME3600x and ME3800x depends on the number of TCAM-MAPD entries. The maximum TCAM-MAPD entry is 4096. The number of TCAM-MAPD entries for an EFP configuration varies between 01-22 based on the VLAN configuration in the EFP encapsulation.
Following are the possible combinations of encapsulation in a VLAN configuration.

- When the encapsulation is a single VLAN, or has a list of VLANs, then encapsulation VLAN contains one TCAM-MAPD entry for each VLAN in the list.

- When the encapsulation has both dot1q and second dot1q VLANs, then the number of TCAM-MAPD entry contains multiples of TCAM-MAPD entries of dot1q and second dot1q.

- When the encapsulation VLAN has VLAN range, then the TCAM-MAPD entry is calculated based on the first and last values in the range.

Ok, so how I read this is that the me3600 and 3800 each have max 4096 TCAM-MAPD entries and they get used differently depending on how you configure the encapsulation. ( there is an example in the guide for those interested)

But then I see

On ME 3600X you can configure the following number of EFPs and cross connects per port:

- 4000 service instances per port

- 512 EFP xconnects per port

- 512 overall on device
On ME 3800X you can configure the following number of EFPs and cross connects per port:

- 4000 service instances per port

- 4000 EFP xconnects per port

- 8000 overall on device

Ok so the 512 on the me3600 would match the example in the guide as a limit , but it seems that the 3800 has a tcam-mapd limit over 4096 as you can have 8000 overall on the device.
Is the limit related to the tcam ? or to max values? Both?
I've looked all over for something that helps clarify this to no avail....

Can anyone help or point me to some documentation?

Thanks

Brian