[c-nsp] N7K, SUP1, M1/M2/F2E, 6.2(10)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:49:16 EST 2014

On 04/12/2014 18:51, Pete Lumbis wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:45 AM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
> <mailto:p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>> wrote:
>

>     What I find most frustrating is that you can't "clear [mls|hardware]
>     ..." when these occur. There seem to be no way of resetting it to
>     known-good state and reprogramming from scratch short of a reload; I
>     would rather a 10 second outage whilst PFC is cleared and
>     reprogrammed compared to 180 second as the box is reloaded :o/
>

> You can issue a "clear ip route x.x.x.x" to force a hardware
> reprogramming. It won't work every time, but you might get lucky.

I must have done that, and various other "maybe" commands, a dozen or
two times in the last 7 years. Not once has it worked.

The only time I've seen a 6500/sup720 recover from a FIB misprogram
without power-cycling the affected linecard or entire chassis was after
90 minutes of work by a TAC engineer, who ended up manually poking the
CAM entries in via debug commands. His signing off recommendation was
"obviously reboot the box asap to get it into a clean state".

This tells me all I need to know, I'm afraid! ;o)

Cheers,
Phil