[c-nsp] Fractional DS3, dsu bandwidth statement and circuit interruption

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Dec 8 11:09:16 EST 2014

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014, Papi wrote:

> dsu bandwidth <...>
>
> statement at my end? Shouldn't that be always the entire DS3 (44210), with
> the provider "shaping" it accordingly, behind our CE-PE connection (this
> goes into an MPLS cloud)? Or is the expectation that both the provider and
> I are to set the dsu bandwidth to the same value, to make this possible?

If the carrier provisioned a full-rate DS3 (44210), but they just
rate-limit traffic down to the contracted rate, then that is correct.
>From what you described in this thread, that sounds like the case.
If the carrier/provider is doing any rate-limiting, then they would most
likely be doing that on their equipment.

If the carrier provisioned a fractional DS3, where something less than all
28 DS1 timeslots are turned up, then the DS1 timeslot provisioning needs
to match what the carrier has provisioned, and needs to match at both
ends.

jms