[c-nsp] Transparent WAN Encryption

cnsp at marenda.net cnsp at marenda.net
Sun Feb 2 17:01:38 EST 2014

Many of those devices do think that the WAN "Ethernet" is
Bit-transparent, not paket-oriented, unlimited MTU...

In Reality, those "Ethernet"Links are MTU-Limited, often with an
"Ethernet"MTU
of just 1500 or sometimes plus 1 or 2 VLAN Tags. Full-Stop.
No Space for Additional information,encryption header, etc.

Or for "jumbo Frames" found in iscsi etc. applications.

BUT You need your Ethernet-crypto device to solve this,
So when my switches on both ends have an MTU of 9216 Bytes
I would like the crypto-device to transport this even over the
"ethernet" link with an MTU of 1371 .

Very ew of the Products solve that,
so take Care in selecting your Product,
"simple" Products think that you own a dark-fibre
where they can to anything
But in reality, you just have a paket-switched link
with singlemode-fibres on both ends.

> I'm looking for the simplest way to do it. Most customers have L2
> connections between Data Centers. The edge device controlled by the
> customer is a Layer 2 Switch. The mechanisms like IPSec, GETVPN,
> FlexVPN, an so on, need a router in the edge. This implies modification
> of the customer's topologies. L2 encryption seems the perfect solution
> and it seems there are several options on the market.

You can use Cisco-"routers" to build an encrypting,
transparent Ethernet-link, bridging every paket including STP CDP LLDP ...
Needs some CPU on the router, that sets the limits,
but this works well, even with limited links.