[c-nsp] IOS-XR: 6PE - next-hop manipulation in route-policy.

Jonathan Hart johathan.hart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 10:17:59 EST 2014

Hi list,

I am trying to manipulate the next-hop for community-tagged routes, inbound
on a 6PE router. Routes are received from route-reflectors, and should be
treated inbound. In this specific scenario I am trying to change a
next-hop. The configuration is based on what we have in production on IOS
today, where this works just fine.

PE is ASR9000 running IOS-XR 4.3.2.

My configuration;

Non-essential configuration has been omitted.

router static

 address-family ipv6 unicast

  2001:db8::160/128 Null0

  ::ffff:192.168.0.1/128 Null0

router bgp <asn>

 neighbor-group IPv6RR

   address-family ipv6 labeled-unicast

   route-policy rr-edge-in in

route-policy rr-edge-in

  if community matches-any (1000:6) and destination in (::/0 ge 64) then

    set next-hop 2001:db8::160

  endif

    pass

end-policy

Also tried this..

route-policy rr-edge-in

  if community matches-any (1000:6) and destination in (::/0 ge 64) then

    set next-hop ::ffff:192.168.0.1

  endif

    pass

end-policy

The defined policy is processing the routes. I tried swapping the
"next-hop" statement for a simple "drop", and the prefix was dropped. In
IOS, I use an IPv6 next-hop which works just fine. In IOS-XR, I tried with
both a normal IPv6 unicast address, and with IPv4-mapped address - without
success.

I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for this, and I have a feeling
it lies in the 6PE part of the next-hop magic. As it seems to be working
just fine in IOS, I'm fairly confident it should be possible to do in XR as
well.

Any help is appreciated!