[c-nsp] MST x RAPID-PVST interoperability issue

Jiri Prochazka jiri.prochazka at superhosting.cz
Wed Feb 5 06:19:59 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to deploy working STP enviroment where one side runs MST and
the other runs rapid-pvst, with diffent native vlans on both sides.

Scenario is quite complex, but I've stucked at the very beginning.

I need to carry two VLAN's over one single link, 728 being tagged.

Side A (7606 with RSP720)

STP mode rapid-pvst
Vlans 29,728

Interface configuration ->

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/1
  description LINK-CUST
  switchport
  switchport trunk encapsulation dotq1
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 29,728
  switchport trunk native vlan 29
  switchport nonegotiate
  load-interval 30

Side B (4948E)

STP mode MST
Vlans 120,728

MST config ->

instance 2 vlan 120
instance 4 vlan 728

Interface configuration ->

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/50
  description Uplink-primary
  switchport
  switchport trunk native vlan 120
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 120,728
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport nonegotiate

log from side B ->

%SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id
29 on TenGigabitEthernet1/50 VLAN120.
%SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking TenGigabitEthernet1/50 on MST0.
Inconsistent local vlan.
%SPANTREE-2-UNBLOCK_CONSIST_PORT: Unblocking TenGigabitEthernet1/50 on
MST0. Port consistency restored.
%SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id
29 on TenGigabitEthernet1/50 VLAN120.
%SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking TenGigabitEthernet1/50 on MST0.
Inconsistent local vlan.

C4948E-prgx#show spanning-tree interface Te1/50

Mst Instance        Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
MST0                Desg BKN*2000      128.50   P2p Bound(PVST) *PVID_Inc
MST2                Desg BLK 2000      128.50   P2p Bound(PVST)
MST4                Desg BLK 2000      128.50   P2p Bound(PVST)

Can this be done (different native vlans) between PVST and MST enabled
switches?

Thank you!

Jiri Prochazka