[c-nsp] Sup2T netflow problems

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 5 06:58:37 EST 2014

On 05/02/14 11:47, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> We've started seeing some problems with our netflow collection and
> export from Sup2T's running 15.1(1)SY AIS.

That can't be. Sup2T has "operationally useful netflow". I read it
somewhere...

> The problems started when we suddenly didn't see any flows exported from
> the device in question. Trying to show the flow cache from CLI just
> makes that VTY hang (can't be cleared):

This is interesting, because we've seen similar things on N7k M1
linecards, which are also EARL8 based, and I believe share HAL code with
Sup2T IOS, though obviously NX-OS is substantially different in other ways.

> We're guessing a reload of the box would help (though the hanging VTY
> lines may mean we have to cut power) but would like for this to not
> happen again.

FWIW the last time this happened to us on an N7k/M1, a reload fixed it
and it did not recur.

(I'd be interested to know if your Netflow timestamps are wrong; that's
another N7k bug we're fighting at the moment)

What sort of numbers of flows?

We don't have any Sup2T in production so I can't offer platform-specific
suggestions. But it does seem the EARL8 Netflow is not as ready for
prime time as some people claim.