[c-nsp] ARP on ASR9k 4.3.2

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Feb 19 00:54:11 EST 2014

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 06:55:08 AM Dmitry Valdov
wrote:

> No, it doesn't depend on an update itself, if you have
> "reload" type of SMU. It takes long time because it
> loads RSP(s) first, and once it completed it starts to
> load linecard(s) which have separate copy of IOS XR
> running ot them. It loads all linecards at the same
> time, so reloading of 9001 or 9010 takes almost the same
> time.

Well, if you have an ASR9010 full of line cards vs. an
ASR9001, the ASR9001 should load its line cards quicker
because it doesn't have that many to do, even in a maximum
configuration.

> But if you have "Hitless" or "Traffic loss" SMU's, it
> won't reload the box, it just does processes restart on
> all cards and may be fast reset some hardware..

Yes, this is the theory. I've updated several SMU's that
were categorized as "hitless", that actually took down line
cards and/or fabrics (but not necessarily the RSP's).

For me, even a hitless SMU will be deployed as "hitful",
because Cisco can't be trusted to get this right all the
time.

Mark.