[c-nsp] Cisco 4900M questions

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Feb 25 11:37:25 EST 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 02:05 +0000, Blake Pfankuch - Mailing List wrote:
> I am fairly new to VRF's however I think I have this sorted out.  I
> believe I can do a VRF definition for each of the environments, and
> then assign the vlan interfaces to each VRF.  Something like this.
> Please bear with my config.  I do not have the device in a place I can
> connect to it, so I wrote this from memory based on my reading.
[...]
> vrf definition DEV
>  address-family ipv4
>   exit-address-family
> vrf definition QA
>  address-family ipv4
>   exit-address-family

Small thing: You would need "rd n:n" before "address-family". Though the
route-targets are only used in MPLS VPN you always need the RD.

[...]
> Does this look like it should fit the bill to allow me to have
> separate layer 3 routed networks that each have separate default
> routes?

It looks just right, except for the formatting. :-)

> My second question is hardware related...
> Does anyone have experience with the OneX x2 adaptors to present SFP+
> out of the built in onboard X2 interfaces?  With this being DEV/QA and
> me trying to be cheap, has anyone used the off brand modules for this?

We do this on Cat6k (in the supervisor X2 ports and on 6708 cards) with
no problems; never really had a modern Cat4k in my hands so I wouldn't
know if they're exactly the same. Whether the SFPs are off brand or not
doesn't seem to make a difference.

--
Peter