[c-nsp] Upgrading to 40G

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Feb 28 09:20:26 EST 2014

On Friday, February 28, 2014 03:05:52 PM Mikael Abrahamsson
wrote:

> I am all for "abusing" equipment in manners the vendor
> didn't think about, but it also helps to know what
> application the vendor thought the equipment would be
> used in, in order to understand why things are the way
> they are.

Personally, I think this indicates a fundamental lack of
focus from vendors (and the IETF) in understanding the
actual problems operators have and need to solve.

Yes, operators could probably do more in working with the
IETF when standards are being developed.

And vendors need to pay more attention to what their
customers want, instead of being completely fixated on
chasing customers who will finance the research and build of
a new platform from scratch (Thank You, such operators - we
might have still been running 3640's if it weren't for you).

But, after all is said and done, the network is not yet
commodity a la server compute power, and because only a few
vendors build good network, I don't see this fundamental
problem going away anytime soon, i.e., there isn't enough
competition in this area.

Mark.