[c-nsp] Upgrading to 40G

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 28 13:49:02 EST 2014

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014, Mark Tinka wrote:

> Personally, I think this indicates a fundamental lack of
> focus from vendors (and the IETF) in understanding the
> actual problems operators have and need to solve.

So for this perticular problem statement, it's standardized in IEEE, not
IETF.

Also I would say there is a fundamental lack of focus from operational
people when it comes to progress in making the standards better and more
efficient.

Ops people are like any other recipient of developemnt, if you ask them,
most of them just want the same, but more and cheaper. Doing leaps in
efficiency isn't something they do, because that's not what they focus on,
they focus on stability.

I can understand that ops people feel the IETF or IEEE isn't taking their
views seriously enough, but where should the balance be struck? I know
some ops people who just want things to be the same, forever, because
that's what they know and that's safe and stable.

So, we're always going to have this conflict in order to have progress.
The struggle is good, because you don't want ops people to rule the world
and you don't want protocol designers to rule the world, you want
compromise between the camps, that's when good balance usually happens.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se