[c-nsp] LNS: Cisco ASR1002-X vs ASR9001-S

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 8 14:29:53 EST 2014

On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 06:23:58 PM Richard Hartmann
wrote:

> Yet, the feedback within DENOG has not been very
> favorable for the A9k platform as LNS. We are wondering
> what experiences others made, especially with current
> IOS XR versions.

AFAIK, if you want LNS functionality, you're out of luck on
the ASR9000. The ASR9000 only supports LAC functionality.

The ASR1000 supports both LAC and LNS functionality.

ASR9000 BNG direction is more toward DHCP, PPPoE (although
it would make sense to put future effort into DHCP) and LNS
support for wholesale scenarios (DHCP wholesale scenarios
are typically implemented in l3vpn's).

Cheers,

Mark.