[c-nsp] LNS: Cisco ASR1002-X vs ASR9001-S

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jan 8 23:47:42 EST 2014

On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:43:49 PM Richard Hartmann
wrote:

> https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23170#L2TP seems
> to confirm that. Yay...
>
> Even if current IOS XR supported that, it would be too
> new a feature to put into production; that's a shame,
> really...

The ASR1000 takes over from the 7200, where LAC and LNS
functionality is very mature.

The ASR9000 is implementing the next wave of Broadband
technologies, and I can see why LNS features would be
foregone on next-generation BNG devices.

The ASR1000 is a very capable platform, and if you wanted to
migrate to more modern BNG features in the future, it can
also play at the same level as the ASR9000, the only
difference being scale (i.e., if you want to move to DHCP
for subscriber management).

Mark.