[c-nsp] R: LNS: Cisco ASR1002-X vs ASR9001-S

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Jan 9 12:26:58 EST 2014

Hi

> On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:43:49 PM Richard Hartmann
> wrote:
>
> > https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23170#L2TP seems to confirm
> > that. Yay...
> >
> > Even if current IOS XR supported that, it would be too new a feature
> > to put into production; that's a shame, really...
>
> The ASR1000 takes over from the 7200, where LAC and LNS functionality is
> very mature.
>
> The ASR9000 is implementing the next wave of Broadband technologies, and
> I can see why LNS features would be foregone on next-generation BNG
> devices.
>
> The ASR1000 is a very capable platform, and if you wanted to migrate to
> more modern BNG features in the future, it can also play at the same level as
> the ASR9000, the only difference being scale (i.e., if you want to move to
> DHCP for subscriber management).

One thing asr1000 does not do that we really missed was the shared policy instances that you can attach to multiple subinterfaces.
That is the only thing we would like that is not there, for the rest it is a great box.

Brian

> Mark.

---
if you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to retain, read,
copy or disseminate this message or any part of it.

Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this e-mail.