[c-nsp] Redundancy options for Dual Home Devices using EoMPLS or VPLS

daniel.dib at reaper.nu daniel.dib at reaper.nu
Tue Jan 14 15:52:47 EST 2014

> On (2014-01-14 21:44 +0200), Mark Tinka wrote:
>
>> The ME2600X is great, but lacks the Layer 3 and MPLS capabilities (along with a few QoS restrictions, but still better than any other switches in Cisco's arsenal).
>
> I took a look at ME2600X recently, looks like forwarding-plane is StrataXGS
> Triumph BCM56624 and control-plane is QorIQ P2020.
>
> Forwarding-plane seem very capable. And you actually can configure MPLS on it,
> LDP gets up, CEF gets populated, even platform specific commands imply HW is
> programmed for labels. Didn't push any traffic through it, I'll try to find
> time/motivation in next few weeks to test if it actually work (not that I'm
> going to use MPLS on it, as it's not listed as being supported so that's big
> no-no)
> But why did Cisco see this much trouble with MPLS, unless they planned to
> start supporting it? And they pretty much have to, if they want to compete
> with SAS-M.

I heard something that it might get L3 and MPLS in the future. Can't be
sure though. If it got that it would make a very nice access device. I'm
not sure why the documentation sucks so badly for it though. Maybe it is
another BU that has it? Otherwise Waris and others have done a great job
on documenting 3600/3800.

Regards,

Daniel