[c-nsp] Redundancy options for Dual Home Devices using EoMPLS or VPLS

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Jan 14 23:26:26 EST 2014

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:52:47 PM
daniel.dib at reaper.nu wrote:

> I heard something that it might get L3 and MPLS in the
> future. Can't be sure though. If it got that it would
> make a very nice access device. I'm not sure why the
> documentation sucks so badly for it though. Maybe it is
> another BU that has it? Otherwise Waris and others have
> done a great job on documenting 3600/3800.

Same BU, and documentation will get better as the product
becomes more mainstream.

This once, actually, I'd rather they focus on keeping this
box as an FTTH AN. Perhaps if operators are horny for
similar features to the ME3600X in this platform, Cisco can
develop a version for the same (they can do that as a
software license so the hardware remains the same).

But given this is merchant silicon, don't expect the same
level of MPLS performance and/or feature set as you get in
the ME3600X/3800X. It can be quite annoying if you are
looking for feature parity between the two, in the same
working scenario, and you don't get it.

But that's just me :-)...

Mark.