[c-nsp] ME3600 autoroute & 10G EFP issues

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Tue Jan 14 17:29:51 EST 2014

Hi all,
A few months ago, I asked the list about a problem I experienced with the ME3600 running MPLS on EFPs where the switch was dropping packets internally:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/174633#174633

I've had a ticket open with TAC since then and while I've been able to recreate it on my network, TAC has been unable to do so, so my ticket is in a black hole with the BU trying hard to focus on the Juniper routers in my network as the problem.

Fast forward to last week when I tried to configure 'autoroute announce' on a tunnel on a switch in my lab and I'm now experiencing the same exact issue - the switch drops traffic internally, as though it's unable to impose a label on outbound traffic.  It only does this on core-facing ports where the interconnection is an EFP.  When configuring the port as a routed port or a normal switchport with an allowed vlan list, it all works as it should.

This latest situation involves simply configuring 'autoroute announce' on a tunnel interface:

interface Tunnel1
 ip unnumbered Loopback1
 tunnel mode mpls traffic-eng
 tunnel destination 10.10.8.3
 tunnel mpls traffic-eng autoroute announce
 tunnel mpls traffic-eng path-option 1 dynamic
end

When this is configured, any traffic that is to be sent through the tunnel from sources one hop away from the ingress LSR is dropped inside the ingress LSR, as confirmed with a passive network tap on the core-facing port.  Config of the core-facing port and SVI:

interface GigabitEthernet0/24
 switchport trunk allowed vlan none
 switchport mode trunk
 mtu 9000
 spanning-tree bpdufilter enable
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 service instance 100 ethernet
  encapsulation dot1q 100
  bridge-domain 100
!
interface Vlan100
 mtu 9000
 ip address 172.16.24.150 255.255.255.252
 ip mtu 1500
 ip router isis lab-test
 mpls ip
 mpls mtu 1546
 mpls traffic-eng tunnels
 isis circuit-type level-2-only
 isis metric 100
 isis hello-interval 3
end

Some further details and lab topology:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4136776

Has anyone else experienced this?  I've so far only tested 15.3(3)S, but given the other problem I was having with the exact same symptoms, I suspect it's also in various 15.2 versions.

-evt