[c-nsp] 7206VXR with NPE-G2 / 12.4(4)XD4

Mark Tees marktees at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 09:40:59 EST 2014

Hi listers,

We have a 7200 with NPE-G2 that has happily acted as a border router for
around a year. We are only using the onboard interfaces.

On Sunday night the device randomly rebooted and the reboot cause shows as
"System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x6FC26C"
from "show version".

When the device came back up everything appeared okay and there was nothing
in the logs after the reboot (we weren't exporting syslog for this one).

There were no CPU spikes in the monitoring system. Traffic levels look
pretty normal.

This is the IOS version running: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software
(C7200P-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(4)XD4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

According to the Cisco docs about "Software forced crash" we need to use
the Output interpreter tool for this. We do not currently have support for
this unit and it will be replaced with an ASR1k shortly.

The only thing changed recently was adding "ip route-cache flow" to Gi1,2,3
which I have now reverted.

Any pointers for investigating this would be appreciated. Can we still get
support for those devices? I haven't asked our reseller yet.

Cheers,

Mark