[c-nsp] 7206VXR with NPE-G2 / 12.4(4)XD4

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Mon Jan 27 11:17:15 EST 2014

On 1/27/2014 8:40 AM, Mark Tees wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> We have a 7200 with NPE-G2 that has happily acted as a border router for
> around a year. We are only using the onboard interfaces.
>
> On Sunday night the device randomly rebooted and the reboot cause shows as
> "System returned to ROM by error - a Software forced crash, PC 0x6FC26C"
> from "show version".
>
> This is the IOS version running: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software
> (C7200P-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version*12.4(4)XD4*, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I tried to look at Cisco's web site to see when this code was released
to tell you how ancient it was, and they don't even have it available
for download it's that out of date.  I'd suggest upgrading to a code
version released sometime in the last 5 years and see if the problem
goes away.  A quick search on Cisco's web site turned this up:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341/prod_bulletin0900aecd80471897_ps6350_Products_Bulletin.html

I'd suggest looking at the features you're using and look at a recent
12.2SRE or 15.2S/15.2M releases if you're going to continue having it in
production for much longer.  The NPE-G2s are EOL and can't have new
service added as of Sept 29, 2013.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com