[c-nsp] Need suggestion on cisco 3560 sw IOS

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Thu Jun 26 18:45:25 EDT 2014

On 6/26/2014 6:09 PM, A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote:

> on recent versions you can do the microcode update BEFORE the reload
> (check the update-sw flag list!) which saves loads of down time(!)

First I've heard of that one (!).

The microcode update is pervasive across the 3560s/3750s.  First time I
ran across it, I was doing a remote IOS update on a number of switches
at a preset maintenance window (reload at xx:yy)... most came right
back, but the ones doing the "microcode update" I thought were a
meltdown and I was packing up for a repair field trip before trying them
one last time before hitting the door...

Very annoying, and very unexpected the first time around...

Jeff