[c-nsp] Need suggestion on cisco 3560 sw IOS

David Farrell df at davidfarrell.ie
Thu Jun 26 18:31:00 EDT 2014

On 26/06/2014 22:38, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> I've seen several boxes running 15.0(2)SE and rebuilds suddenly die with
> memory problems.  The box would be fine for many months, then one day the
> monitoring system would show that it had suddenly started losing ~1% memory
> per hour and then would crash a couple of days later with OOM.  I caught
> one in the act last week, and "show memory" suggested that the dot1x
> process was chewing up fragments all over the place.  dot1x was disabled on
> that switch.
I've seen similar with 15.0(2)SE on the 2960G but I suspected the SSH
process according to "sh mem", possibly exacerbated by monitoring the
SSH port for availability. When ours died only a power cycle brought the
thing back, as opposed to IOS crashing/rebooting... Unpleasant.

I'm planning a downgrade to 12.2(55)SE9 on two units this weekend. I've
had the code running on a test switch to my satisfaction, I'll attempt
to remember to note any oddities here.

Cheers,

David.