[c-nsp] Need suggestion on cisco 3560 sw IOS

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Thu Jun 26 20:57:34 EDT 2014

On 6/26/2014 5:31 PM, David Farrell wrote:
> On 26/06/2014 22:38, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> I've seen several boxes running 15.0(2)SE and rebuilds suddenly die with
>> memory problems.  The box would be fine for many months, then one day
>> the
>> monitoring system would show that it had suddenly started losing ~1%
>> memory
>> per hour and then would crash a couple of days later with OOM. I caught
>> one in the act last week, and "show memory" suggested that the dot1x
>> process was chewing up fragments all over the place.  dot1x was
>> disabled on
>> that switch.
> I've seen similar with 15.0(2)SE on the 2960G but I suspected the SSH
> process according to "sh mem", possibly exacerbated by monitoring the
> SSH port for availability. When ours died only a power cycle brought
> the thing back, as opposed to IOS crashing/rebooting... Unpleasant.
>
> I'm planning a downgrade to 12.2(55)SE9 on two units this weekend.
> I've had the code running on a test switch to my satisfaction, I'll
> attempt to remember to note any oddities here.

If you're running into out of memory issues on 15.0(2)SE or 15.2(1)SE
trains, and aren't doing AutoSmartPorts, try doing a no macro auto
monitor in your config.  This was the cause of memory leaks that we
experienced on several hundred 3560G/3560X's across multiple sites.
Sites with large numbers of port up/down events seemed to hit it even
quicker.  With this disabled we've been pretty happy with 15.0(2)SE4's
stability for the last 6-9 months or more. We were testing 15.2(1)SE but
ran into major issues with ip device tracking causing all kinds of
duplicate IP issues/alert messages. Anybody else encounter this and have
a fix for it in a predominantly MS environment (Win2K8/2K12 servers for
DHCP, Win7/8 clients).  The ip device tracking delay 10 didn't make any
difference when we tried it.  We'd really like to find a fix for it so
we can get RSVP snooping enabled for mediatrace (dependent on ip device
tracking)

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com