[c-nsp] Cisco mem issue

Alex Pressé alex.presse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:53:47 EST 2014

Yup; looks like this:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YH13, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Failed all 0xffffffff test
Bad RAM at location 0x8800095C: wrote 0xFFFFFFFF, read 0xFFFFFDFF

<snip>

DDR memory test failed.  Resetting the router ...

Just have a *booted *and configured spare on hand for any future reloads.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Mark Lancaster <marklanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, we have experienced a large amount of memory failures in our 28xx
> routers that have been deployed in the field for about ~3-4 years now.
>  I figured there was a much larger issue with component quality going
> on.
>
> /m
>
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:32:59 +0200
> > From: Tassos Chatzithomaoglou <achatz at forthnet.gr>
> > To: cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> > Subject: [c-nsp] Cisco mem issue
> >

> > Has anyone experienced the recently announced mem issue?
> >
> > http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/memory.html
> >
> > affected parts:
> http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/memory_pu.html
> >
> > Proposed fix-on-fail solution seems risky.
> >

> > --
> > Tassos

Alex Presse
"How much net work could a network work if a network could net work?"