[c-nsp] Event Manager Script

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Mar 8 09:11:42 EST 2014

On Sun, 2 Mar 2014, M K wrote:

> Hi allI am trying to do a event manager script that will do the below
> and need some assistanceI want to ping to a specific destination and if
> the ping request timed out for a period of for example 5 minutes , the
> router should be reloaded

I would re-think this approach.

If you're rebooting routers to 'fix problems' often enough that you need a
way to minimize the effort involved in rebooting them, there is a far more
serious problem lurking in the shadows.

I would also strongly caution against putting the mechanism that controls
those reboots under the control of something other than a human being who
makes a conscious and informed decision to do so.

"At 2:14 AM, Skynet becomes self-aware..."

jms