[c-nsp] Cisco ME3800X with EIGRP

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Sun Mar 9 22:20:04 EDT 2014

On 10/03/2014 11:45 AM, Chris Russell wrote:

>> A cisco switch/rtr without eigrp.. first time I've encountered it!
>
> Hi Steve,
>
>   Debated this with Cisco a while back - apparently more aimed at PE
> edge, so less routing capabilities more MPLS.
>
>   Last time I asked the scaled metro license was only for scale - below
> from an SE 6 months or so back so might have changed:
>

> ME3800-X P/PE
> ·         The Metro Aggregation Services license gives you the following
> features, MPLS, EoMPLS, MPLS VPN, MPLS TE, FastReroute, VPLS in addition
> to the features in the Metro IP Services license.
>
> ·         You may also wish to consider the Scaled Metro Aggregation
> Services license, the following table shows you the difference in scale:
>
> Supported feature

> ACL entries
> 4 K  (Metro)
> 16 K  (Scales)

Apparently the scaled license is also required in order to support
Policy Based Routing.  It seems counter-intuitive given it's a "scale"
not a "feature" license, but it's documented here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me3600x_3800x/software/release/15-4_1_S/configuration/guide/3800x3600xscg/swpbr.html

I ran into this 18 months ago.  I think it's inconsistent and a pretty
nasty gotcha for the uninitiated.

Reuben