[c-nsp] HWIC-3G-HSPA-G stuck in reset?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Mar 10 06:22:58 EDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-09 at 00:42 +0100, Lukas Tribus wrote:
> What about just resetting or power cycling the modem instead of
> reloading?
>
> conf t
>  service internal
>  end
> test cellular 0/1/0 modem-reset [or]
> test cellular 0/1/0 modem-power-cycle

On this subject: We sometimes have a HWIC-3G-HSPA-G in a C1941W that
"dies" with no apparent reason, writing this message in the syslog:

  %CELLWAN-2-MODEM_DOWN: Modem in HWIC slot 0/0 is DOWN

We have tried shutting the Cell0/0/0 interface and issuing "gsm radio
off"/"no gsm radio off" on the Cell 0/0 controller:

  Router(config)#service internal
  Router(config)#interface Cellular 0/0/0
  Router(config-if)#shutdown
  001295: Mar 10 11:05:30.223 CET: %IFDAMP-5-UPDOWN: interface Cellular0/0/0 update IP Routing state to DOWN, interface is not suppressed
  001296: Mar 10 11:05:32.223 CET: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Cellular0/0/0, changed state to administratively down
  Router(config-if)#exit
  Router(config)#controller Cell 0/0
  Router(config-controller)#gsm radio off
  WARNING(Controller cellular 0/0): Radio power OFF setting will NOT persists if router
  or modem resets. Save to startup configuration.Use "no gsm radio off" to turn radio power ON

After waiting a bit:

  Router(config-controller)#no gsm radio off
  Cellular Modem in HWIC slot 0/0 is still in reset, we recommend to re-execute this cmd after 60 seconds
  Router(config-controller)#

This doesn't work. I was hoping the commands Lukas mentioned might help,
but the result is the same:

  Router#test cellular 0/0/0 mode-reset
  Cellular Modem in HWIC slot 0/0 is still in reset, we recommend to re-execute this cmd after 60 seconds
  Router#test cellular 0/0/0 modem-power-cycle
  Cellular Modem in HWIC slot 0/0 is still in reset, we recommend to re-execute this cmd after 60 seconds

No amount of waiting helps. Currently it has been three weeks since the
error. Completely power-cycling the device will get the modem working
again, but that's too disruptive for my taste.

With the modem down, trying "test cell-hwic 0/0/0 modem-mode" times out
after writing ten of the messages to the log:

  001306: Mar 10 11:15:31.468 CET: %CELLWAN-2-SEND_TIMEOUT: Cellular0/0/0 not responding

I have looked for something under "test ..." that could maybe reset the
HWIC "hard" but have been unable to find anything.  Are there any other
ways of making this work again, apart from the reload? :-)

The router is used in a truck that functions as a mobile blood bank and
has two cellular connections on two seperate HWICs (HWIC-3G-HSPA-G) for
failover.

It's a C1941W running c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-3.T1.bin with a
SecurityK9 license.

--
Peter