[c-nsp] HWIC-3G-HSPA-G stuck in reset?

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 06:53:51 EDT 2014

Hi Peter,

> On this subject: We sometimes have a HWIC-3G-HSPA-G in a C1941W that
> "dies" with no apparent reason, writing this message in the syslog:
>
> %CELLWAN-2-MODEM_DOWN: Modem in HWIC slot 0/0 is DOWN

This means you are experiencing a modem firmware crash.

Also read Cisco 3G and 4G Serviceability Enhancement User Guide [1].

> It's a C1941W running c1900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-3.T1.bin with a
> SecurityK9 license.

You definitely don't want to run this image, its a 3 year old build
from the early 15.1 days.

Upgrade to to the most recent rebuild of your train (15.1(4)M7) or
think about upgrading to 15.2(4)M5.

Also upgrade your HWIC-3G-HSPA-G firmware (which you need todo manually),
download here [2] and see the upgrade instructions [3].

I never had any issues after upgrading IOS and firmware code.

Regards,

Lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/819/user/guide/3G4G-enhancements-userguide.html
[2] http://software.cisco.com/download/type.html?mdfid=281295483&flowid=277