[c-nsp] NPE-G1s don't want to talk to each other over copper?

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Mar 19 12:59:31 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:39:41AM -0400, Rob Seastrom wrote:
> "Darren O'Connor" <darrenoc at outlook.com> writes:
> > No auto-mdix on npe-g1 so use a crossover
>
> Thanks guys; I'll give this a shot.  Somehow I had been under the
> impression that auto-mdix was mandatory not optional for 1000baseT,
> and in practice I've never encountered a copper gig interface without
> it in the wild...  until now.

Nope, auto-MDI/MDIX is suggested, but not mandatory for 1000BaseT.

In practice, just about every single gig port has it, except for
Cisco, which several devices/ports did not. Always good to have
the full 4-pair crossover cables around Cisco gear just to make sure.
(and important to check on your crossover cables, as many vendors
borked out on making them, and didn't cross all 4 pairs, causing no
end to fun troubleshooting *that*).