[c-nsp] Access layer replacement for 6500/Sup720

"Rolf Hanßen" nsp at rhanssen.de
Mon Mar 24 12:23:02 EDT 2014

Hello,

currently we use C6509 + Sup720 for IP access (routing + switching, ISP
environment).
Means BGP + OSPF + HSRP, dual stack, no MPLS, no full table (a few hundred
routes only).
Now I am looking for a small equivalent like a stackable 1HU Layer3 switch.
Should have 40/48x 1GBit + 4/8x 10Gbit.

My dealer recommends a Cisco 3850, which is below 10k Euro for 48xCopper
and 4x SFP+.
Sounds good from the specs, but I have no clue about IOS XE.
In the Configuration Guide Overview I do not see a CoPP-equivalent for
that device.
It is very important for me to have a (hardware-assistend) function to
protect the router CPU in case of ddos to the router itself (or TTL
expired packets).
How is that done on a 3850 or is a 3850 simply the wrong choise in my case?

Anthing else I should be aware of? Known issues, design deficits, too
small buffers, high outage rates or so stuff?

Are there any other recommendations in that or lower price region?
Does not need to be Cisco. What do other ISPs use for such szenarios?

kind regards
Rolf