[c-nsp] ADSL and "Capacity Used"

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Mon Mar 24 17:51:58 EDT 2014

Hi All,

Been googling for a bit now, but this information is seemingly missing my
browser.  I know that it's not really important, but for my own curiosity
and sanity. What "Capacity" does "Capacity Used" refer to on a ADSL WIC when
issuing the show atm int xxx command?

For example:
#sh dsl int atm0/0/0
ATM0/0/0
.
Capacity Used:	 59%				 83%
		 DS Channel1	  DS Channel0	US Channel1	  US
Channel0
Speed (kbps):	          0	       10239	         0	        1020
.

#sh int atm0/0/0
ATM0/0/0 is up, line protocol is up
.
  30 second input rate 19000 bits/sec, 8 packets/sec
  30 second output rate 15000 bits/sec, 11 packets/sec

Clearly the "Capacity Used", is not referring to the capacity that *I* have
available on my ADSL circuit.  I'm wondering just what capacity is this
referring too?  It's really not important - I'm just curious.

Many thanks,
Chris.