[c-nsp] purpose of asr management port?

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Thu May 29 19:41:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

> The more I look at it, the value of the onboard management port seems to be zero. While I love the idea of out of band and so forth, there are things like aaa / netflow / snmp / ssh and so forth that I want to be able to do but apparently can't be done with the build-in port, and so I'm going to burn an official gig port to do those jobs instead.

aaa, snmp and ssh should work on that port. Instructions on how to use it for those purposes is at http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/Management_Ethernet.html. For netflow you are indeed out of luck as that is (intentionally?) not supported on Gi0.

Cheers,
Sander