[c-nsp] MPLS-TE on ME3600

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Fri Nov 14 08:37:37 EST 2014

This is incredible.  I'm always amazed at developments in the network realm.  What will they think of next...?

I read here that PCE is the solution to Inter-AS and Inter-Area MPLS-TE....
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r3-9/mpls/configuration/guide/gc39crs1book_chapter4.html#con_1279822

"Path Computation Element (PCE) solves the specific issue of inter-domain path computation for MPLS-TE label switched path (LSPs), when the head-end router does not possess full network topology information (for example, when the head-end and tail-end routers of an LSP reside in different IGP areas).

PCE uses area border routers (ABRs) to compute a TE LSP spanning multiple IGP areas as well as computation of Inter-AS TE LSP."

But wait, there's more...there's actually an IETF working group for this exact thing... IETF PCE WG for standardizing a TCP based protocol called, PCEP...
http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/pce/charter/

cisco pce info....
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r4-2/mpls/configuration/guide/b_mpls_cg42crs/b_mpls_cg42crs_chapter_0100.html#con_1256727

juniper pce info...
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/concept/pcep-for-mpls-rsvp-te.html

.... when reading this I start thinking about sdn, nfv, openflow, things like that, like protocols that allow for decisions to be made elsewhere, seem to usher in the whole idea of virtualizing and cloud'ing the control plane with mere control plane clients that reside on routers/swiches/lsr's with tcp sessions to all-knowing controllers elsewhere.  Crazy huh

Aaron