[c-nsp] Customer getting its own AS

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Oct 7 08:45:46 EDT 2014

On Tue, 7 Oct 2014, redscorpion69 wrote:

> One of our customers just got AS number. He is going to keep our addressing
> scheme (so Provider Assigned address space).
>
> What is the best strategy to change static routing to now new BGP sessions
> on few of POPs. Where does deleting ripe object and creating new ones come
> into play?
>
> So in other words what would be the best order of operation to migrate
> customer with least amount of downtime?

There should be no downtime if you do it right.

Set up BGP sessions.
Make sure prefixes and default route are being propagated.
Delete static route(s). Traffic now flows according to BGP routing.
Change route object.
In case someone has a problem with the route object, your encompassing
larger prefix is going to make sure you get the traffic anyway.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se