[c-nsp] Cisco 7201 (G2) Traffic Performance (High CPU Utilization)

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:31:36 EDT 2014

Hi,

> I did notice something very strange with another cluster of routers last
> night when I was commissioning them.
> Same setup, port-channel trunks to a core switch with sub-interfaces
> running over them.
>
> I was seeing some issues with bringing up an 3-way OSPF broadcast w/MPLS
> LDP. The OSPF would come up fine BUT, the LDP wouldn't come up for all 3
> peers. Only 2 of them.
> It wasn't until I shut one of the physical interfaces on all the routers in
> the channel-group that it all started to work. I proceeded to un-shut the
> physicals and it continued to work.
>
> This was not a once off incident. I had the exact same issue 30 minutes
> later on another site.
>
> Which leads me to think that port-channels may behave strangely when being
> brought up initially on this instance.
>
> I'm going to try to bounce these boxes off peak and report back.

Ive come across a similar issue with portchan on 7200's....it's was a bug....well it was in my case, portchan with 2 physical links, and multicast(224.0.0.5) was failing in one direction, so MPLS+OSPF were failing.

Shutting down one of the physical links "fixed" the problem....I avoid Portchans now(7200's/ASR's)...Ive ran into too many problems with them....shaping policies being applied to portchan subinterfaces, but not actually shaping, but then on same 7200, other shaping policies did work and the multicast issue.