[c-nsp] Cisco 7201 (G2) Traffic Performance (High CPU Utilization)

Frank Bulk (iname.com) frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Oct 16 01:13:40 EDT 2014

Here's the older post:
https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2007-April/039999.html

Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Mark
Tinka
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:57 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Cc: Troy Boutso
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco 7201 (G2) Traffic Performance (High CPU
Utilization)

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 04:37:34 AM Troy Boutso
wrote:

> Ultimately I want to know am I simply hitting a practical
> limit of the box already?
> I'm very scared to enable more WAN links on these routers
> as I am affraid it will max out the available resources.

It's been a while since I ran any decent traffic through the
NPE-G2, but if memory serves, CPU utilization was not always
linear with traffic. But at some point, it levels out and
climbs slower (given that you're not running any features
that could cause this).

That said, this was back in the days of SRC, and the NPE-
G2's I have now are looking glasses, so no major drama
there.

We saw higher CPU utilization at low traffic levels compared
to the NPE-G1, but saw a slower climb as traffic climbed. In
the role you describe, we got to 950Mbps at ~93% CPU
utilization.

Mark.