[c-nsp] Determining number of BGP advertised routes in IOS XR

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:00:03 EDT 2014

Other vendors make this very easy, so I feel like I must be missing
something. Is there a fast way to determine the number of prefixes being
advertised to a neighbor? For anything approaching a full table, "show bgp
ipv4 uni nei <ip> advertised-routes | i prefix" can take a couple of
minutes to complete. Juniper and others seem to just put this info into the
output of "show bgp neighbor", which makes it super easy.

I see that IOS XR has a field that is tantalizingly close called "prefix
advertised" but that seems to be the total of all advertisements since the
peer came up. For example, the peer I'm looking at right now shows 4.7
million prefixes advertised, which I think might be a bit overestimating
things.  :)

So, what am I missing? Is there really not an easier way in XR to get this
simple piece of information?