[c-nsp] OOB Device for remote DC's

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Sep 4 02:07:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-02 at 12:22 +1030, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> We historically have just used Cisco 2511's with standard modem
> attached, but are finding it increasingly difficult to source modems -
> Can anyone recommend an alternative(reliable) OOB device? (Built in
> modem + 4G as backup?)

+1 for Opengear. We've started using the ACM5504, which is a small
4-port serial device with single PSU, single LAN and a cell connection,
as well as the IM7248, a dual PSU, dual LAN (each SFP+copper dual
purpose) and 48 ports serial.

They're easily customisable with actual bash (v2.05 though) and e.g.
iptables. And there are hook scripts for various things.

Configuration is primarily web UI, the CLI way seems rather cryptic to
me. But it's not something you configure every day so it's okay.

--
Peter