[c-nsp] Cisco recommendation for distribution layer campus network

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Sep 28 20:34:43 EDT 2014

I would say avoid Cisco.

The IOS-XE based switches take *forever* to boot and can easily last 5-10 minutes during the entire process.

We have tried for nearly a decade now to educate Cisco on why this is important and they have often missed the boat in what is feasible or otherwise.

(boot time should be under 120 seconds as most people are just doing OEM of a Broadcom box anyways).  If it takes too long for them to program the BCM sub-system, they are doing something majorly wrong and there’s unlikely any hope of them understanding what.

- Jared