[c-nsp] power requirement for WS-X614E-GE-45AT in reverse POE mode

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Wed Apr 1 05:50:58 EDT 2015

Hi Gert,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 09:38:45AM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> quick question, because I cannot find the answer on cisco.com.
>
> If I run a WS-X6148E-GE-45AT in reverse POE mode (feeding power into
> the 6500), but do not use the ports for actual switching, will the line
> card still require power?

It will be a close call, but I recommend you connect the injectors every
other port to leverage the 8:1 oversubscription.

Although documentation states "No chassis or slot restrictions; the
module can occupy any slot in any Catalyst 6500 or Catalyst 6500-E
chassis.", I've had better results placing the 6148E in the top slot,
that way you benefit from trickle-down electricity.

Hope this helps,

Job